We went to the doctor yesterday to review his labs... he is still in the danger zone.
We have upped his meds again to try and get this ugly thing under control. He now has to take a long lasting insulin in the morning.. and whenever he eats breakfast or supper, he has to take a fast acting insulin immediately afterwards. He also has to take vitamin D supplements and two other pills to help with the blood sugar levels. All of this and he's only 33... poor baby! (Can I keep saying that I am still holding strong to my belief that God will heal him completely and totally!)
The doctor also suggested we switch from table salt to Himalayan sea salt?!
She said that the benefits are great... she said that if you suffer with dehydration, your body is lacking salt (not table salt) and that if you have many headaches... or often feel sluggish or tired/shaky this could be a result of a salt deficiency also.
- IMMUNE SYSTEM - Sea salt naturally helps you to build up a strong immune system so that you can fight off the cold virus, the fever and flu, allergies and other autoimmune disorders.
- ALKALINE - Sea salt is alkalizing to the body, as it has not been exposed to high heat and stripped of its minerals, nor does it have any harmful man-made ingredients added to it. Thus it can help you to prevent and reverse high levels of acids in the body, which in turn eliminates the risks for serious and life-threatening diseases.
- WEIGHT LOSS - Believe it or not, but sea salt can also help you in weight loss. It helps the body to create digestive juices so that the foods you eat are digested faster, and it helps to prevent buildup in the digestive tract, which eventually can lead to constipation and weight gain.
- SKIN IMPROVEMENTS - A sea salt bath can help to relieve dry and itchy skin as well as serious conditions such as eczema and psoriasis. The bath naturally opens up the pores, improves circulation in the skin and hydrates the tissues so that your skin can heal.
- RESPIRATORY - Sea salt is effective in reducing inflammation in the respiratory system. Thus the production of phlegm is slowed down so that you can breathe easier again. Some say that sprinkling sea salt on the tongue after drinking a glass of water is just as effective as using an inhaler. But the great thing about sea salt is that it has no side effects when taken in moderation.
- HEART HEALTH - When salt is taken with water it can help to reduce high cholesterol levels, high blood pressure and help to regulate an irregular heart beat. Thus sea salt can help to prevent atherosclerosis,heart attacks and strokes.
- DIABETES - Sea salt can help to reduce the need for insulin by helping to maintain proper sugar levels in the body. Thus the salt is an essential part of the diet if you are diabetic, or at risk for the disease.
- OSTEOPOROSIS - Just over 1/4 of the amount of salt that is in the body is stored in the bones, where it helps to keep them strong. When the body lacks salt and water it begins to draw the sodium from the bones, which then eventually can lead to osteoporosis. Thus by drinking plenty of water and consuming salt in moderation you can prevent osteoporosis.
- MUSCLE SPASMS - Potassium is essential for helping the muscles to function properly. Sea salt not only contains small amounts of potassium, but it also helps the body to absorb it better from other foods. Thus it is effective in helping to prevent muscle pains, spasms and cramps.
- DEPRESSION - Sea salt also has shown to be effective in treating various types of depression. The salt helps to preserve two essential hormones in the body that help you to better deal with stress. These hormones are serotonin and melatonin, which help you to feel good, and relax and sleep better at night.
Can you believe that?! All of this from switching to a pink salt?! Well, it was recommended by my husbands doctor... so switch we will. I mean, it's still salt... just a different color right?
Let me know what you think of this pink stuff.... and what type of salt do you use at home?
If you have made this switch, did you notice any difference?!