April 17, 2012

Going Gray Together...



I was sitting on the white wooden swing outside enjoying the beautiful day this past Saturday. They had puffy white clouds floating overhead. The trees behind me where providing shade… so it was nice and cool despite it being pretty hot outside.


When my husband noticed I was on the swing, he came and sat by me. We were talking for a few minutes, when he then asked me to scoot over to the other side of the swing. He laid his head on my lap, he had been cutting grass, raking the leaves and moving fallen tree limbs from the back yard most of the morning.

As I sat there swinging the both of us, running my fingers through his hair in the sunlight… I couldn’t help but notice the increasing number of silver hairs growing on his head. I smiled.

I’ve been with this man since he was a teenager. We’ve been together through so much together over the years… through deaths… through births… joys and sorrows. Again I smile…

I love that we are growing older together. I love that we have been through so much… and that everything we have been through has brought us closer together and to place we are today.

I thank God for the gift of my husband. He is the opposite of me… he is my other half… he is my better half.

excuse the no makeup, hair pulled back, and red faces... if you live anywhere
near Louisiana or it's humidity you would completely understand! :)
I play with his hair and I know that I am not far behind him… I have noticed more and more silver hairs on my head the last year. I don’t think its going to bother me much. I know that we have earned these silver strands. We are not those teenagers any longer. I told my husband that if I begin to color my hair… it would only be if he wishes me to do so.

I love my husband so much… I think he is going to be the best looking man with silver hair I have ever seen!  There’s a sense of comfort, if that makes any sense, in seeing those silver strands on his head. The odds were against us from the beginning. When we met I was so young… we were so young. No one imagined we would be here today, swinging on this old white wooden swing, going gray together.

In the bible it says –

Gray hair is a crown of splendor; it is attained in the way of righteousness. Proverbs 16:31

The glory of young men is their strength, gray hair the splendor of the old. Proverbs 20:29

Even to your old age and gray hairs I am He, I am He who will sustain you. I have made you and I will carry you; I will sustain you and I will rescue you.  Isaiah 46:4


Photobucket

No comments: