June 11, 2012

You Can't Wear Those Shoes Yet...


My youngest daughter and I walked in a wedding together a few months back. One of the highlights for her (she’s 4) was picking out the shoes we would wear for the wedding. (The bride didn’t have a preference for the shoes, so as long as the bridesmaids wore black, she was fine with it.)

We both found the perfect shoes. Mine were black strappy high heals that were comfortable enough to wear for hours and not gain blisters or brush burns. Angelique’s were sandal style and Apple Red in color (she was going to be the Jr. Bride, and the Brides shoes were to be Apple Red as well).

She begged me to wear them.

The entire drive home she asked to wear them.

When we made it home that day she asked to wear them.

Before bed she asked to wear them.

When she woke up she asked to wear them.

You get the idea?

One afternoon we were getting ourselves dressed to attend the wedding rehearsal dinner. I had the perfect dress, it was black and white and beautiful… but I didn’t have the perfect shoes to go with that dress and I didn’t realized it until that very moment, with minutes left to get ready. I realized that the shoes I had purchased for the wedding would go beautifully. No one would really even see the shoes during the wedding since our dresses were floor length.

I strapped those babies onto my feet and rushed to Angelique’s side to finished getting her cute little self ready.

Me: Angelique, baby, what shoes do you want to wear today?

Angelique: Ummm, I think, maybe, I want to wear the red ones.

Me: Hmm, what red ones? Your red flip flops? You can’t wear those.

Angelique: No, the ones we bought, you know, the red ones.

Me: The ones for the wedding?

Angelique: Yes

Me: No baby, you can’t wear those until the wedding so they don’t get messed up.

Angelique: But you’re wearing your shoes for the wedding.

Me: Silent for a moment… then laughter followed.

She got me.


  
Prompted by Moma's Losin' It! 

Mama's Losin' It

prompt #2.) Write a post about an argument you recently had with someone from the moment of conflict to the moment of resolution in 15 lines or less.

Photobucket

No comments: