June 14, 2012

My Fake Fine.


I’m following along with a book study at Chatting at the Sky!

It’s a bitterly sweet book titled Grace for the Good Girl letting go of the try-hard life.

This week, we were to read chapters 4 – 6, and I did. 
Oh boy how I did… I read it in gulps. Refreshing, soothing gulps.

All I can say is WOW. It was as if this woman sat down and watched my life, from adolescence through to today and in first person point of view. She then took all of my insecurities, all of my fears and my “masks” and she wrote a book on them. She has an amazing way with words and I simply can’t get enough of her.

Today we are linking up our answers to the weeks questions.

Without further ado, here are the questions, and my answers…

1.     What is your main reason for hiding behind your fake fine? Is it because you are afraid   (what will they think of me!), lazy (it takes too much work and I need a nap and a bowl of ice cream), or something else?

            For me… I think I’m afraid of what I will look like, sitting there “poor mouthing”… being            whiney and complaining about all the difficulties of my life. When I know in my heart that this            poor soul was probably just trying to be polite, and probably has enough problems of her own…            no need to share with her the burden of mine.

2.  In what ways do you resonate with Martha’s good girl ways?

I often feel like it isn’t fair that I have to do everything on my own. I can see Martha there, feverishly trying to make everything perfect for her guests. The areas where we would be considered different? I would never have been bold enough to go out to Jesus and demand him to tell her to help me. And two, I would never have invited him into my house until the work was done. I probably would have said more like “Jesus, please come into my home tonight at such and such a time when everything will be ready for you… see you then.” I would never have invited him in to see everything as it was.

3.  Has your idea of the spiritual disciplines and the purpose of the law shifted in reading chapter six? If so, in what ways?

I think my problem has often been me comparing how good of a Christian I am by how much I do for the church… how many good Christian duties I have checked off my mental (and sometimes physical) lists. I need to remember to sometimes let go, and just bask in His grace.  


Photobucket

No comments: