June 5, 2012

Put Your Little Self In The Hands Of a Great and Mighty God...


I was 6 years old and playing at a neighbors house. I didn’t realize how late it had gotten and outside was getting dark.

I was scared of the dark.

My friends’ mom promised me she would stand at the door and watch me cross the three yards to my house. So I began my walk, very slowly.

Every few seconds I would turn around to make sure she was still standing at the door, to make sure she was still watching me… then it happened.

When I was 10 feet from my yard, I turned around to find she had closed her front door.

I was terrified.

As long as that door was open, I didn’t feel alone… I felt safe.
The minute that door shut, I was alone. Outside. In the dark.

So I did the only thing I could think of…
Call on the name of Jesus.

In my six year old mind I began to repeat His name over and over…

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus, Jesus…
It then turned into:

Jesus love me this I know,
For the Bible tells me so,
Little ones to Him belong
They are week
But He is strong.
Yes, Jesus loves me
Yes, Jesus loves me
Yes, Jesus loves me
The Bible tells me so

I imagined my little self in the hands of a great and mighty God, safe from all harm.

I repeated the song twice before I reached the door to my living room, into the safety of my own home.

I never forgot that. From then on whenever I would fell anxiety, or whenever I was scared about the situation I was in I would sing “Jesus Loves Me.”

So the other night when my four year old climbed into my bed and announced she was scared of the dark, I shared my story with her.

I told her that as long as she calls on the name of Jesus, He will be there… right by her side, and she will have nothing to fear.

So today, as you sit there reading this, facing the unknown,
As you hit uncertainties head on,
As you feel your anxieties getting the best of you…
Just remember.

Jesus loves you this I know,
For the Bible tells me so,
All of us to Him belong,
We are week
But He is strong
Yes, Jesus loves you
Yes, Jesus loves you
Yes, Jesus loves you
The Bible tells me so.

He does, He loves you unconditionally and He wants to give you His peace.

So when the door of certainty closes behind you... 
remember to put your little self in the hands of a great and mighty God.


Photobucket

1 comment:

GingerPeachT said...

Oh I love this story. What a great thing to remember. :-)